Thursday, March 12, 2009

Through their eyes.....

It is so easy to forget that we have to teach them everything and I do mean EVERYTHING. As you know, Kiera is a little over 2. She has a full vocabulary and conveys her thoughts quite well and quite often! She seems so well versed in life, that I sometimes forget there are things she doesn't understand. Like an umbrella, for example.

Today, we needed to take something to my neighbor, Chris, across the street. Well, I waited and waited for rain to subside, but finally gave up and pulled out the umbrellas. Little did I know this would be quite an adventure and forever a memory etched in my heart!

I grab Kiera's shoes and two small black umbrellas. I ask Kiera to sit on the stairs and thus begins our conversation:

Kiera: Mommy, what are those?
Me: Umbrellas, baby. It's raining and we are going to Chris'.
Kiera: I need one for yourself (translated to I need one for myself)
Me: Ok.
So I then open the umbrella...

Kiera: Whoa (said in three syllables like whhho ooo ooohh) , that is big. Is it heaby? (heavy)
Me: No, try it
A little unsure, she grabs it and says: Look at my hat.

I chuckle to myself and realize this child has never really experienced an umbrella. So the story continues:

As I get my shoes on, Kiera walks around my house looking like this:
She can't see anything. She is bumping into every wall and door. So much so that she is actually lowering the umbrella unvoluntarily because each spoke is being bumped, but she is having the time of her life. What kind of mother would I be to take it away or actually teach her to hold it up. She is learning, right?

Really, you should know I am dying laughing and running for the camera all the while trying not to cause such a stir as for her to actually *look* and see what is going on!

So, then we step outside and the conversation continues:

Me: Come on Kiera, let's go.
Kiera: Mommy, no. I don't wanna get wet!

and so she puts on her brakes and will not take another step!

Turns out she had no idea what the heck an umbrella was for!!!

1 comment:

Kim H. said...

Aww - that's a cute story :-)